Saturday 9 April 2016

Taper Tantrums and New Goals

Good Afternoon Readers!

I hope I find you well and a spring in your runners step.  I  write to you from the sofa whilst watching Westham V Arsenal on TV... currently 3-3 ... Come on Hammers!!

So a quick round up of the week...

Monday - Rest Day
Tuesday - Lazy Trail run/walk (mainly walk) - 3.35 miles in 52:14
Wednesday - Gym  - Cross trainer, Bike, and a mishmash of intervals on the treadmill
Thursday - Rest 
Friday - 60 lengths Swim and 45 minutes Aqua Aerobics
Today - Went out to do long run, but legs just didn't want to move :( so did an hour walk just to keep the legs moving and hopefully they will let me run tomorrow.

I have had my training plans sent to me for the next two weeks, and they look so bare compared to what I had been getting, I can already feel the itching desires to run further and longer but know that I must not!

As London Marathon approaches very fast, I have been asked if I am nervous, and since last week when I did 18.2 miles slow as mainly walked due to back, my answer is no. When I started this I had hoped that I would go under 5 hours but due to illness, injury etc that goal slipped away some time ago.

I have been beating myself up on so many occasions trying to go faster and burning out and then getting angry with myself.  But then when I got home after last Sunday and felt really good, to the point I didn't feel like I had been out for a run at all it changed everything.

I already know I will carry on running after London, I think that 5k, 10k, and halves will be my thing.  I am not saying I will never do another marathon as I am sure I will one day, but the shorter races are ones I feel I can really excel at as I become fitter, lighter and more experienced.

So If  London does happen to be my only one I want to make sure I have enjoyed every single second of it.  I want to take in every bit of the atmosphere and the surrounding landmarks in which I will run/walk past.

So it is for that reason that I don't intend to push myself to the limit,  I will walk when I need to and I will stop to take selfies at the Cutty Sark, Buckingham Palace and any of the other landmarks I feel like doing so.  

I will then finish it and hopefully feel good so that I can go for drinks with my family who even though they don't have much money, they are all traveling up from Cornwall, Somerset, Leighton Buzzard and Brighton to support me.  It means so much to me that they will be there, and that I can share the experience with them.  I will probably get drunk celebrating the fact I have completed the London Marathon, but I will deserve it.

Having said that, I think I am going to go about 6.5 hours, but (failing injury) if I find myself clasping close to the 6 hour mark, and feel I can push on to get the sub 6 I will try :)  Some parts of competitiveness with myself cannot be taken from me!! 

Also as any runner will tell you, race day is completely different, and no matter what you tell yourself before, once you pass the start line its a whole new rule book, a book that is blank!

So that is it from me for now, hopefully I can pop back in tomorrow and let you know I did manage my long run.

Much Love
FBB xx




No comments:

Post a Comment