Sunday 27 March 2016

Happy Easter

Happy Easter Everyone!

I hope that the Easter Bunny brought you all the chocolate you shouldn't eat, as it is not good for your diet, but you will eat anyway because you burnt at least 2000 calories on your recent long run and that's the reason we run right?


So I left you on Tuesday having done my intervals and with a tighty righty.

Wednesday - I bullied Rob into joining me for a full strength and conditioning session followed by stretches.  We have added in some extra arm weights as well and increasing all of the reps/weight for the others.  I am also doing planks now and managed to hold for 30 seconds!

Thursday-  I worked late so took a rest day.

 If you remember I had booked into a 10 mile race at the beginning of February which I had to defer due to having been ill with chest infection.  Well Saturday was the date it had been deferred to.  I spoke to Richard my Coach as I wasn't sure what to do.  My long run for the week was planned as 24/25km.  We decided that I could do the race but should do the rest of the planned distance either before and/or after the race so that I got the miles in.

Good Friday - So I should have been doing 40 minutes easy run which had been booked in for Thursday, I went out thinking I should really only do a light east 15/20 minutes as I was going to do the race/long run the next day.  However in true FBB style I went off fast and decided to go for a 5k PB.

Now there were many things wrong with this, firstly my warm up had been eating breakfast in bed, having a further snooze, up dressed and out the door, not exactly the warm up you should do if you are considering going out and racing your legs.

Second the last thing you should do is go out racing hard the day before a race/furthest long run.

But then I never listen to what I should do, as it happens my left calf was very tight, I was managing to run through it until 2km when it felt liked it popped slightly.  Which stopped me dead in my tracks, I was gutted, such beautiful weather and I was having to hobble home and give up.

It made me re think about the next day, and I decided to change my 10 mile race to a 5k race (if my calf would hold) and then do my LSR on Sunday/Monday.

 In the afternoon Rob, my daughter Chloe and I went to Stevenage to a new restaurant called Salt and Good.  OMG it was amazing, it was a world food buffet, I filled my plate up with pizza, onion bhajis, spring rolls, noodles,naan bread, chips, chicken nuggets, wings and more.

For pudding I had berry mousse, 2 different types of cheese cake, raspberry jelly and creme brulee.  I then went back to get an ice cream cone with choc chip mint, strawberry and chocolate ice cream and raspberry sauce.  Finally I went and got 2 marshmallows dipped in the chocolate fountain.



It really is a clever idea, because you get to eat all of your favorite bits of different food, and if you have  family who argue over what type of food to go for then its  fab place to go.

In the evening I stretched and rolled that night and went to bed early, but woke in the early hours with a sore throat and aches.  Great on top of everything it looked like I was getting ill yet again.

Saturday - My alarm went off at 6am but I felt so ill I switched it off, took some pills and went back to sleep.

When I woke again it was 8, I decided that as the weather was predicted to get quite bad, and as I wasn't feeling particularly great and may get worse over the following couple of days, I would try and do as much of my long run as I could.

I ate a good breakfast, chilled for half hour and then stretched and loosened up, I then took a good 15 minute walk - I wanted to loosen my calf as best as possible before running.

Near where I live there is an area of fields called Hatham Common, with play parks and football fields etc.  There is a mile loop running track around the edge and I had planned to give it a go so I had worn my ASICS GEL-FujiTrabuco 4 G-TX trail trainers.

I had set my watch to sets of 5 x 4.5km run and 0.5km recovery.  I did 3 laps for my first set and then decided to take a run up the river for my next set, during which I decided that if I ran up the river to 12.5km I coud run back and do 3 more loops to finish.

As I was running down the river towards 10km I could tell I was on for a PB and made it in 1:17:55 (according to my TomTom watch - Strava registered it at 2nd best 1:18:33!)

I turned at 12km and started my way back, I was already tiring at this point but finished my third set and pushed on.

I was also using my Gels differently, still using my favorite High 5 Nutrition Berry ISO GEL and Raspberry Caffeine Plus GELS but I was using them between each set (approx 40 minutes).

During my fourth set Rob came running passed me from behind, pinching my bottom and making me jump (almost falling into river).

It wasn't long after this that I started to walk more, I wouldn't say I was tired from the running as such, but because my left calf was constantly burning tight I was mentally trying not to compensate using other muscles.  I ran/walked most of that fourth set and as I neared half Marathon I could tell I was going to get sub 3 hours, I speed walked my way to 2:55 something (again Strava has recorded it at 2:56:32 but that was still a PB).

I then met Rob and decided to speed walk home and finish near my home, my watch reading 15.02 miles but again Strava recorded it at 14.9 miles!  It is really annoying when you transfer it over and are all happy because you think you have done something but it said something different.  Rob said that Strava is probably the accurate one, but I am going with my Tom Tom as that is better LOL.

In all fairness though Strava recorded a PB for:

15k - 2:02:00                               Previous 2:02:49
10 miles - 2:12:12                       Previous 2:14:19
20k - 2:46:27                               Previous 2:49:25
Half Marathon - 2:56:32              Previous 3:06:11

I was really pleased, especially after feeling unwell and with a burning tight calf.

Sunday - Today my calf is still tight, once I am up and moving around it eases but as soon as I sit down for a bit it seizes back up again.

So today is Easter and I have had a little bit of chocolate but am looking forward to having Rob's Dad John and his partner Maryce round for dinner.  Rob is slow cooking a large joint of Lamb (so big it didn't fit into the slow cooker!)

I wish all my readers, their family's and friends a very Happy Easter, I hope that you have a relaxing time.

Much Love
FBB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment