Friday 12 February 2016

Starting over at Week 10

Hi everyone,

You will be glad to know I have managed so far to stick to full training this week, although it has been pulled back from where I was before I became ill some weeks ago.

So here is the run down from my last post:

Saturday - I deferred my 10 mile race to end of March as I knew I was not well/fit enough to make it round the course.  Instead I got up and did my local park run using my new ASICS GEL-FujiTrabuco 4 G-TX trail shoes.  

 Considering that I had barely done anything over the past few weeks, and was still low on energy I managed to do it in 40 minutes and 19 seconds which is not much difference to what I normally do.  I have to say though, the difference having on trail shoes was amazing, if you remember I had tried to do park run on Christmas day without much luck.  The new shoes were perfect for the terrain, they didn't feel heavy on my feet which I thought they were going to, and they didn't slide in the mud, and I didn't feel the usual struggle over the stones.  

All in all I felt that the shoes were very comfortable and really helped my run, I cannot wait to try the run again when I am feeling much better and see if I can improve on my time.


Sunday - I went out to try a LSR (Long Slow Run), I didn't go with any intentions and had set my watch to just run.  I found it tough but managed 7k in one hour.  It certainly wasn't my best in terms of speed or distance, but having been ill, and having done the 5k the day before, I was happy.

Monday - Rest Day

Tuesday - I had spent the day excited to start a new week with fresh belief that I could start again, My training had gotten behind but I was certain I could pull it back together, if not on track to what my potential had once been then certainly not far off.  Off to the gym I went to do my intervals, and happy to report that I managed to do them as stated in my training plan and a little faster than normal. 15 Min warm up walk and 15 min cool down walk both at 6km/h and four sets of 6 minutes @7.2km/h with 1 minute recovery at 6km/h.  6.5K in the bank for the week.

Wednesday - Cross train/SnC - I went to the gym first and did 5 minutes on the cross trainer, 0.5k (I still hate this machine with a passion!  I cannot get the rhythm and normally feel like I am going to snap my legs in half or go flying off of it!)  Then I did 15 minutes on the bike and added another 3.5k into the bank before heading to the weight machines for some strength work.

When I got home I also did a mixture of exercises Ellie the Physio had given me and some of the ones that Richard had given me.

Thursday - Short run, the training plan said 10 mins walk then 3 sets of 10 min run and 90 seconds recovery 10 mins cool down, This should normally have been 30 min easy effort run but due to being ill Richard felt I needed to give my body chance to build back up. I changed this to warm up/cool down walk but two sets of 15 mins run with 1 min recovery as I felt I could manage this and didn't want to go back too far.  I had been right and managed this doing a total of 6km.

I really enjoyed this run for a few reasons, normally I run with music but had left my iPod switched on so it had run out of battery, so I went with out it.  Dusk was drawing in and it was beautiful running down the river, a slight mist setting over it, the low light and the silence.  There was something so calming about it.  However I would like to state and always advise, I did make sure I had turned back in time to reach a well lit/public area before it got too dark.  Safety must always come first when you are a lone running female.  

Another reason was I was trying out my new ASICS long sleeved top, I had run a couple of times in long sleeve tops but they were not running specific and I had found they got uncomfortable and I had got too hot even in freezing cold weather.  My ASICS LITE-SHOW long sleeve top was again perfect for the run, I didn't get too hot or sweaty and it was so comfortable.  





Also I am getting used to my new running shoes... ASICS GEL- KAYANO 22 LITE-SHOW, how can I describe them... bouncy, very bouncy, and so comfortable to run in.  But even better, when you finish your run and start to walk, when your feet are tired and would normally ache like hell, they are like walking on little memory foamed pillows of marshmallows that bounce you back up. I love them.









Today - Today is a rest day, and I am quite glad as I was a little stiff legged this morning, although they seemed to have stretched themselves out after my day at work.

I am glad to report that I am in a much better happy place now I am back working hard at my training, I have 4 weeks until I have Silverstone Half Marathon booked, and I am determined to get fit and be ready to run the distance.

For full product links that I have reviewed please pop over to my review page.

If you are enjoying reading my blog, and if you have started to run yourself, there are a few things I would advise doing.  First write a blog, and document your training.  It really helps to keep you motivated even when you are really grumpy.

Next sign up to Twitter and follow like minded accounts for example:

@Womensrunninguk @Mensrunninguk @UKRunChat @parkrunuk @High5Nutrition @ASICSUK 

Through these accounts you will get talking with other runners from all levels, it is amazing how it is like a family and you will end up following more and more will follow you.  You support each other and get advice and give advice.  It really does help when you have days that you really don't feel like moving.  Also there are great competitions to win running goodies.

So that is all from me for now, please keep in touch and let me know what you think or what you would like to know more about.

Keep Running
FBB xx



No comments:

Post a Comment