Tuesday 23 February 2016

What Do You Do After A Bad Gym Training Session?

You grab a Large Big Mac Meal, a bottle of Pinot Grigio, a big bag of crisps, wine gums and chocolate.  You then sit on the sofa and sulk at what a loser you are and how rubbish you are at running....


WRONG... you go home, have a wee, change your shoes, down a ASICS Raspberry Caffeine Plus GEL (Sponsor promo alert) and head off out for a jog...

This is how it went:

So I had packed my bag this morning before work so I could get straight to the gym after, I had eaten pasta for lunch, I got changed at work, and with a spring in my step I drove to the gym.

It was Intervals day, I always find them hard but I think that's why I enjoy them so much at the achievement of completing them.  I knew as soon as I started the warm up walk it wasn't going well, I was meant to do 15m walk, 3 sets of 8m run with 90 seconds recovery.  I completed the first set, I completed the second set but paused the treadmill no end of times, I barely started the 3rd set and gave up, I walked until I got to 5K and quit!

So why was it bad today?  Here are my theories:


  • Mental... it was all in my head and was just a bad day
  • Bra...I only have one decent running bra that fits at the mo and it was in the wash, so I was using my older one which really doesn't have enough hold, my rather large bazookers were bouncing all over the place! (Again ASICS - HINT HINT)
  • Shoes, (and this is my own incredible stupid fault!) I have recently bought a pair just for the gym, Obviously in my head this morning I was going to the gym and took this pair, but of course I was running at the gym so I needed the comfort of my decent gel infused ASICS Kayanos! (More sponsor promo alert)
  • My legs have been quite sore since my LSR on Sunday
  • Failing all of those reasons Ill blame the fact I have now quit alcohol, until Silverstone Half in 3 weeks, and obviously 4 days without a drop of wine, body has gone into melt down!
Either way, my legs didn't really hurt, I wasn't out of breath, I had energy, but something told me no! So I left the gym, a little bit disheartened, and then to top it off, because I had left early, I got stuck in a traffic jam!

But it gave me time to think, and it was in that lonely, boring traffic jam, that I decided I had to do something so I didn't get down, So I went home, had a wee, changed into my perfectly cushioned amazing ASICS shoes, downed the GEL and off I went. (more sponsor promo)

Just set my watch to run, no time/distance/speed expectations. Just me, jogging as the dusk night air was slowly dropping down and my thoughts (My iPod has run out again as I had left it on AGAIN).

I have to say it was the nicest run I have done in a long time, it was slow, but I did just over 5K without stopping, and I loved it, it felt good, I felt good! In fact I felt so good when I got home, I am actually starting to wonder if my OH is correct when he goes out for a short slow recovery run the day after a LSR.  I always have a rest day after my LSR so I am pretty much sat on my Fatty Boom Boom for 48 hours, and then they all seize up and hurt, but today after the second run they felt relaxed and far better.

I didn't feel like eating, so I had my favorite High5 Chocolate recovery shake in a nice hot bubble bath... and this is now what I call heaven, oh how a girl can change! (one last bit of sponsor promo)

All that is left to say is tomorrow will tell if I did wrong, but for now I am one very happy Fatty Boom Boom!!

FBB xx

2 comments:

  1. Would love a copy of your training plan Elle if you can share it? Think I need to start doing some intervals and would like to do some run walk long sessions! I don't suppose u could email it to me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ThisMum, A few people have actually asked this, so I am just checking with my Coach for his permission as it his professional time taken. I'm sure you understand. If he is ok I will get them uploaded to blog as well as my SnC exercises and stretches. In the mean time, get yourself a copy of Womens Running Mag, (you can subscribe online, 5 issues for £5 which is a fab saving) they have some great plans in the current issue very similar.

    ReplyDelete