Saturday 5 December 2015

Big Marathon Challenge - Meet and Greet

Hi everyone!

I want to tell you all about my meet and greet day in London!

So my day started at 6.30 am, I packed a bag and made my way to the station, just to find out my train had been cancelled, luckily it was only another 10 minutes to wait for the next one.  I got a train to Finsbury Park, and then took the tube to Victoria... MY WORST FEAR!!  I try to avoid rush hour and the London Underground at all costs, and never do it without the warm arms and distraction of my Fiance Rob.
This was the first time I had done it alone, as I stood as close to the door as I can I concentrated on my breathing just as I do when running, I tried to think of anything other than where I was or what I was doing.  At one point it became ridiculously cramped and people were almost laying on others so as not to get caught in the doors, I had been pushed further into the center and was becoming slightly panicky. Luckily it wasn't many stops and I was off quite quick.

I met one of my team mates Alison at Victoria Bus station and we made the rest of the journey together talking about our excitement, reservations, goals, and general stories.  I am so glad we had time to chat before hand as it made it less nerving to walk into the gym.

I met the other ladies in my team, Jacqui, Sam and of course Alison, and the Men's team, we are all very different and have our different goals and stories to tell which only makes the experience even more fun, not only walking my own path but following the paths of my new found friends.

I had a one on one with my Coach Richard from Full Potential and talked through my goals and plans, he is a really lovely and motivating guy who reassures me that he will be by my side throughout the whole experience.  I think that Richard and his help is going to be the biggest thing for me to take from this experience, I already know I can run, and that I enjoy running, but now I can learn how to run properly and have a plan in place to improve my fitness, endurance and speed at an appropriate rate.

Next I had to see Ellie the Physio, I was made to do some simple tests so that she could analyse my strengths and weaknesses, apparently I have strong calves, but very weak glutes, short ham strings, but more worryingly is one side is considerably better than the other which could seriously cause injuries further down the line if not corrected.  I look forward to seeing her full report and plan next week.

When I returned from the Physio I was greeted to a pile of ASICS clothing and trainers, The clothes were all really nice looking however just a little on the tight side for my larger figure.  I think that the shorts were also just a bit too short for me, I never get my legs out.... ever and I did pity anyone having to view such a considerable amount of my flesh that day, having said that I really liked the design of them, and who knows by the marathon I may well be dying to show off my newly toned running legs!

The rest of the morning was made up of portrait photo shoots, team and single running shots and an interview with Liz, the editor of Women's Running.  I also spent a little more time with Richard who filmed my running to go over my technique.



After a spot of re-fueling we had talks from High5 and ASICS, the guys were very informative and I learnt a lot of information which is really going to help me.  We were also lucky enough to be given a large selection of High5 products to take home and try out.

Finally we did a video interview and then it was time to pack up all my new goodies and make the trip across London again.

I had a fantastic day, and am very thankful that I was chosen for this experience.  I would also like to thank everyone that was there yesterday as each and everyone of you made me not only feel welcome, but worthy of my place in the competition and also as a runner.  No question or query was made to feel ridiculous, you really made us all feel at ease and for a beginner like me, the marathon is now a reality not a dream.

Happy Running All.
FBB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment