Sunday 27 December 2015

Raspberry Puddles...

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine....

OOOPS Hello!! Such a special time, with family and friends, lights glowing, alcohol flowing, singing, dancing... Or not if you are training for a marathon!

Thursday - Short run - 10m walk, 20m run, 10m walk.
Not a great deal to say on this, I completed it but found it tough, I guess Christmas festivities really do take a toll on your running.  After the run, a bath and a bit of house work, I went out shopping for a few last minute bits.  I didn't go out or drink as I had Panshanger Park Run Xmas morning.






Christmas Day - I was up early, but not for the promise of ripping up wrapping paper and excitement of presents, but to go run 5k at my local Panshanger Park Christmas run.

It was a fantastic turn out for 8.30 on Christmas morning, people had given up their time for free to Marshall a free race in addition to the weekly Saturday one. There were Christmas Hats, Turkey Masks, Santa outfits and much more, and so many children.  Such a great atmosphere to be a part of, strangers wishing one another Merry Christmas, handing out home cooked mince pies.

9.00am ticked in and off the race started, I started well, up the first hill, I continued on and around the first corner and up the stony hill between the fields, the one that usually slows me to a walk but this time I got to the top.  That is where it ended, I don't have any trail shoes as yet and my path was one of extreme sludgy mud, I could barely stand without slipping and decided that walking was the better option, I couldn't afford to injure myself.

I met up with a lovely lady called Sue from Mudd Queens, she was coming back from injury so we walked together.  She told me all about the type of races she enjoyed, Tough Mudders and obstacle courses.  Sounds like fun, but not until after the marathon.

I finished the 5k mostly walking, but was happy because I had gone out, had got up early and gone out to (invisible) exercise on Christmas morning.

The rest of the day was filled with family, lovely gifts and fantastic food, competitive games and yes a bit of wine!

Boxing day was a rest day, me and the other half went into town for a bit of lunch and coffee, had a stroll round the shops and then back home to watch some films.  Again no alcohol as long run booked in for next day.

Sunday - Up I get, a bit later than I wanted, had a nice bowl of porridge, did the washing up and helped Rob get a beef and ale stew into the slow cooker.  Rob left for an 11 mile run, and I set off about 10 minutes later... in my car.  I ha decided to drive down to Hartham, park up and then run along the river and back.  I parked up in a nice spot at the side of the path I wanted to run along, locked my car and set off, only to return to my car 3 minutes later as I had forgotten my music!!  Back home I drove, picked up my IPod and back I drive to the car park.

Take 2 - so today I had to go  3 sets of 5 minute walk and 25 minute easy run.  The first 25 minute run was difficult, my legs were stiff and it always takes me a while to get my breathing right and legs to warm up.  My second 25 minute run was far better, or at least it felt far easier than the first.  The third run was hard, I was tired, and my legs were hurting but I kept telling myself that if I gave up I would find myself being far more disappointed in the 15 minutes that I didn't run way more than proud of the 60 minutes I had.  I finished it with a jump and a shout into the sky!

Whilst on my run I found out 2 things, I love puddles, I ran through everyone, sometimes jumping in them and splashing my legs, I looked a complete fool, but when my feet and legs were burning it really helped and was quite refreshing!

The second thing was I love raspberry Caffeine Plus High5 Gel, it is so lush.  I also tried the orange gel today but unfortunately it made me gag... it tasted ok, I think it was just a shock to the system today trying to swallow the whole thing in one go, so will give it another go.



So here we are, Sunday evening, and tomorrow is rest day again so I have allowed myself a couple of glasses of wine and a cheeky chocolate bar.

I'm loving life right now, and I am loving taking part in the Big Marathon Challenge!  Lets hope next week will be even more positive, I will be adding some new pages to my blog and updating the others over the next week, so please have a look.

MORE IMPORTANTLY... Women's Running/Men's Running Magazines are out on 29th December and will be featuring the women's/men's Big Marathon Challenge teams (which means I will become famous in a magazine.... YAY!!!!)  I have already bought many of my family members subscriptions for Christmas and I cant wait to get my copy!  Obviously because of the BMC article but also because it is a fab mag to read.  In fact it was because my fiancée bought me the subscription for my birthday in August that I entered this competition.  I love reading the articles about people just like me out running, the advice and the top running products. (Top tip you can get your first 5 issues for £5 from their website)

Have a fab week all.
FBB
xxx

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say a huge 'good on you!' - I'm 6 months into my journey and I know how tough it is, I'm not a larger lady but I do have a 9months old and a 4 yr old who have taken their toll on my body and fitness!! I'll be following your story in women's running and cheering you on come race day 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Running Mum!

    Thank you so much for your support, I had wondered if anyone was reading my blog having only had comments from my mum, fiance and coach!! Today has been a good day, I cant wait to write the next post later about the magazine article and today's training session where I didn't want to stop!

    Do you write your own blog? I would love to have a read and see how others are training and dealing with training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do but I'm terrible at writing it! But you've inspired me to give it another bash - and I've given you a mention :) you can see mine here http://thismumruns.blogspot.co.uk/ maybe we can spur each other one! x

      Delete
  3. Fab, I have already followed the blog, and will continue to follow and yes we definitely can spur each other on!

    ReplyDelete