Sunday 13 December 2015

Olympic Park 10K

Hi!

So Friday I went to the gym before work, I was aching quite badly, so took it easy, just doing 5 mins on Cross Trainer, 5 mins on bike and 6 mins on treadmill alternating flat, uphill and downhill.

Then it was rest up time until Sunday.  Friday night I had my works do and decided to drive and not drink, at the tie it seemed like a god idea with my training and race looming on the Sunday.  However it only left me wanting to drink Sat night.  I bought a bottle of port and a tub of Pringles and set down to watch the X Factor final!  I was very naughty and ha 2 large wine glasses of port.




Once X Factor finished I drank a pint of water with a High 5 Zero tab and got an early night.... Or so I thought, I was woken at 12.30, but soon went back to sleep until 2.30am when my neighbor and many friends were watching the Boxing, the TV was so loud I could hear the commentator and that was over the sounds of them shouting and screaming 'DO HIM!'  This went on until about 4.30am when I finally fell to sleep through exhaustion only to be woken up again at 6.20am to more shouting and loud TV!  My alarm went off at 6.30, and I was so tired I felt sick.

I was so angry, I had been looking forward to doing this race and now I felt I may not make it, but I forced myself out of bed, tried to eat some porridge, packet my bag with more High 5 Zero tabs and Recovery shakes and off Rob and I went for the train. It was freezing cold, and very wet.  Rob was doing the Elite Race at 10am, and I was in the mass race at 11.

I supported Rob who finished in around 44 minutes and then decided I would at least give it a go, and if I felt ill I would pull out.  I started off well, and surprised myself, I ran 5.5k without stopping  to walk and did it faster than normal, however between 5.5 and 7 I struggled, it felt like it was going on forever.  I could feel my right quad and knee really swelling, but I refused to give up.  I could be seen shouting and swearing at my leg and telling it that it wouldn't let me down.

Then I rounded a corner and saw the 8k marker and realised I was bang on 1 hour, although my watch was reading less than 8k, I guess I wasn't sticking to the imaginary line?!  At this point I knew I could beat my personal best of 1:24, I could easily do 2k in less than 24 minutes even if I walked it, and this spurred me on.

As I was coming around the last bend, I could see I could beat 1:20 and sprinted my fastest to the finish line... My watch read 9.8k (Im such a cheat) and 1:17:24 (It took me a good few seconds to turn it off as thought I was going to be sick from the final sprint).

Am still awaiting official race times, but what ever they come out at I know I seriously slashed my 10k PB and am so chuffed.

UPDATE: Official Time:
1:17:07 5k split 38:33

After the race we took some photos and then popped into Westfield to get a bight to eat and I drank a nice High 5 Chocolate Recovery shake which are fast becoming my best friend.

Rest day tomorrow, and then onwards and upwards, Richard has sent me some more cross training  exercises to do to help my muscles so will have a look through those.

Happy Running all!
FBB xx


No comments:

Post a Comment